Tuesday, May 28, 2013

the annual hit-and-run

Remember last summer when someone backed into my van at the public pool?  Maybe I didn't tell that story here.  We were swimming in the pool when someone came over and asked me, "Do you have a gold minivan?  Someone just hit your car.  They are in the parking lot."  So, Lew went out to speak to them.  Well, in that couple minutes, they were gone.  There were 3 adult witnesses.  The guy got out of his truck and spoke to them.  Then he got back in the truck and drove off!  (we are assuming he had no insurance) Anyway, these 3 adults couldn't even agree on the make of the truck, much less tell us his license plate number.  Lew called the police and the officer was like, "What exactly do you want me to do?"  in other words, he knew there was no hope of catching this guy.  Lew said, "I want a proper police report on file for my insurance company so they know how this happened."  We were left footing the whole bill for that repair.  People, for crying out loud - if you witness a hit, get the plate number for the victim.  3 adults.  3.

Well, at least this year's hit-and-run in a swimming facility parking lot looks like it is going to have a free ending.  When we were at the water park on Saturday I brought the camera.  You saw the photos late Sunday.  Well, when I walked back to the car to put the camera away for the day, I found a note on the window.  "Please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX I backed into your van.  T---"  Of course, being a skeptic, my very first thought was "No way is this phone number real."  Well, turns out it was!  She spoke to Lew last night and will call her insurance office and get back to him Tuesday after the weekend.  We have her name and number.  Let's hope her insurance pays for this whole thing.

Seriously - I do not have a huge vehicle.  It is not like we drive a Suburban or a big ol' Econoline van or something that hangs out of parking spots.

2 spots with scratched/cracked/peeling paint and the bumper pushed outward.
 cracked
 Here is the bumper pushed out....
 ... and here is the opposite side showing how tightly it should be.

This annual event better not become a true tradition around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment