Monday, February 11, 2013

Gretchen's new doll

I mentioned that Carl spent his allowance money on new Legos.  Well, Gretchen saved hers to spend on a new doll.  2 of her friends got American Girl Dolls for Christmas and they have been bringing them to playdates.  Now, if you know anything about me and our toy condition history, you know how nervous it makes me to know that these girls are playing with $100+ dolls outside in the park.  Gretchen first wanted to save for an American Girl doll, but I explained to her that it would take her until her birthday or Christmas to do that.  So, if that is what she wanted, she could wait and ask for one for her birthday without having to save her money.  But, she and I began another typical "us" thing.  Researching things to within an inch of their lives.  We looked into several varieties of 18" dolls.  I read reviews.  We looked at facial expressions. We checked out hair styles and colors.  I read more reviews.  We looked at eyes.  We compared prices.  I continued to read reviews.  I asked friends on a social network.  (This was especially helpful since one of my sewing friends was already doing research into buying a very cheap model for her newest project.  Mutual friends confirmed that the doll Gretchen and I had almost decided upon was indeed good quality and that her daughter loved hers.)  For luck, I read a few more reviews.

We finally decided on the Madame Alexander 'My Life As' doll from Walmart.  All positive reviews.  The dolls from Toys R Us and Target, for example, had many negative reviews.  The Toys R US doll's eyes didn't close when she laid down.  Honestly, the American Girl dolls teeth creep me out a bit.  Another thing I liked was that the My Life As doll is that she has shoulders.  The American Girl dolls have plastic arms that go into a cloth body and their head is directly put into the cloth body as well.  So, if clothes have a lower neckline, you can see the cloth part, too.  Gretchen's doll also has a cloth body, but she has plastic shoulders and chest for sundresses and/or v-necks.  This worked out well for my first attempt at making her a dress.  I didn't have a shirt pattern, so her jumper is more of a sundress.  Shhh... Gretchen does not care!

She lovingly named her new doll, Gretchen.  Here are the 2 Gretchens in their new Valentine's Day jumpers I made.  The tiny one is a made up pattern... using the scraps from the big one.  (I will do a little tweaking in my next attempt.)
Yes, People... I had teeny rick rick in stock!  You can never have enough rick rack.  I should embroider that on a pillow.  And then border it with rick rack.
Since taking these pictures 5 days ago, she has acquired a new pair of pink cowboy boots.  Gretchen and I also headed to Hobby Lobby last Saturday after bowling. The boys were at Cub Scout camp.  She and I went to pick up a couple crafty things for the class party this week.  Well, we discovered that Simplicity patterns were only 99 cents... and we left with 4 of them of 18" doll clothes!   I think she understands that I may not be able to make everything we bought.  Especially the Disney Princess gowns.  But, believe me, I am going to try!  I'm starting smaller, though... with the shirt pattern so Gretchen will be able to have warm arms in February.

So, if any of you have hand-me-downs or things to sell (clothes, accessories, furniture... Lori, I have Natalie's plaid chair - she loves it!)  for an 18" doll named "Gretchen"....  we can put them to great use!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment