Wednesday, September 26, 2012

old people are expensive

They cost me money.

I don't work while the kids are at school.  (well, let me get all Stay At Home Mom defensive... I don't work a  job where someone cuts me a paycheck while the kids are at school.)  So, this gives me the luxury of shopping alone during the morning hours.  When even Walmart has check out lanes wide open and clerks standing still waiting for me to waltz up to them!

It is also when the elderly shoppers are out in higher ratios than you will find them on say, a Saturday afternoon.  They are a very easy group to shop around.  For the most part.  They smile and sometimes say 'good morning'.  Today, I spoke for several minutes with an old lady with a thick German accent all about Nutella and peanut butter.

But, they cost me money.  They are generally walking slower than I would cruise through the aisles.  So, I am often trapped behind them, having to keep their pace, not mine.  That's when it happens.  I start looking around at the shelves and impulse buying.  I stopped at Walmart yesterday morning with a very short list of items and I left there having given Walmart $89.  I wasn't even aware of it until I hit the check out line, too.

Sneaky old people.

No comments:

Post a Comment