We've been having the same heat many people are going through... temps in triple digits or close with heat indices of 115 - 120. Well, even though it is more normal for us to have sweltering summer heat, this is still above average for us. And, we never said we wouldn't complain about it. But, this is not a post to complain about the heat.
You read that I used a jarred Yankee Candle on the dashboard of the rental car to melt the wax and make the car smell a bit better. Well, after we got my own van back, I was still thinking about melting wax. I got Gretchen to help me with a little experiment.
We grabbed the bag of crayons and found some broken older pieces.
Unwrapped some, broke them even smaller and put them in a muffin pan.
We brought that pan outside after first checking the weather... heat index of 117. That seemed like a good temp for our experiment.
Gretchen placed them on the dashboard and we closed them in.
A couple hours later, we headed back out to retrieve the muffin pan and see what happened to our crayon pieces.
They came out cool, but it does seem that some of the wax separated up to the top layer. The stronger color is definitely on the bottom of each heart.
with a clear wax coloring layer on top.
But... they work great!!
I believe you are supposed to make these in the oven. 230* for ~15 minutes.
Or, try a Honda dashboard on a summer afternoon! Our experiment was a success!
PS - yes, we have to retouch her nails. Swimming always chips them on her. She and I have rainbow toes right now, too. It was on our summer poster of events. Happily checked off already!











Fun with science!!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome!!!! and a great post for people that think leaving children/animals in the car for just a few minutes is okay. I'm totally stealing this idea by the way - the crayon thing, not the kids in car thing. :) I like your summer check off also. I've got things marked on the calendar, but I think the kids would enjoy it more if I turned it into a check list. I worked in my classroom yesterday and I have 2 days of training next week soooo I'm kind of feeling like my summer is gone. *sigh* Maybe for winter break we'll do a list....
ReplyDelete