Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 2 of Surf Camp

The weather was much nicer today!  We started the afternoon with a quick technique review and practice "popping up".  One local news team was there covering the camp.  It is one of those channels that runs local news all day long.  I keep checking, but have not seen the interview with Jack and parents yet.  They taped the warm-up session with the kids, too.


 first run of the afternoon
 they love being out just floating on the water
 Yay!
 Popped up nicely on her very first run!  Big change from yesterday!
 This is Carl's best friend surfing.  I just love how the instructors are always cheering on the kids.
 I thought he was spinning her on this board, but she said no.  He did spin Wesley so fast I thought the kid would fly off.
 The waves were not as harsh as yesterday and she was happy!
 Here are Carl & Wesley waiting for waves to ride back in.


The kids took turns nicely.  They each got 2-3 runs and then they switched.  They were ready for a short break by then and the other child was eagerly awaiting the leash and their turn.

 This is easily both of their favorite things to do!
 One handed holding on!  Gotta hold that nose, too!
 Go, Carl!!


 TJ kept going under water.  So, she looks like she is out there all alone.



 I like the runs where she surfs in, and doesn't wipe out!  Just hops off the board.
 Gretchen and Carl heading out together!





 another run together!

 trading off at the shore


 Here's Kevin helping surfing with Carl.
Then, Kevin convinced Logan to try surfing with him.  Here they are heading out for the one and only run Logan made.  Kevin talked him through it.  He even carried him out past the crashing waves and helping him come in smiling!
 Here is a shot of some of the other campers and their instructors.  They had between 30 and 40 kids this year.  I talked to a lady from Buffalo, a lady from SC, a lady from MD....  people make this their family vacation just to be able to give their kids this opportunity to participate in this charity surf camp.  The surf school runs several charity surf camps throughout the summer that are all free of charge to families.  Many of these families I recognize from meeting last summer.
 The kids surfed right up until 7:00 when camp was over.  Then, they had hot chocolate and coffee for us up on the beach.

 The kids wore TJ out!  Poor guy - he surfed pretty much constantly for 2 hours with my kids!!
 Ready to head home for a bath, a snack and bedtime!!

Tomorrow is Orientation at school right before Surf Camp.  We'll learn who their teacher is going to be as well as the other kids in their class!  Then, I'll have the final night of surf pictures to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment